Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Oh Glorious Weather

Having Celtic and Anglo Saxon genes has never been a drawback for me. In fact, I enjoy tracing my roots, studying the cultures, and recognizing the my links with the Irish and the English, but recently I have discovered (I think) one very significant disadvantage: I belong in a cold climate, not the subtropical one I have inhabited for the last thirty-four years.

Of course, I have known for a long time that my pale skin and green eyes would suffer in the hot South Florida sun. In fact, I've already had minor procedures to remove cancerous growths, and cataract surgery to replace my damaged lenses; but it has only recently dawned on me just how much the endless hot weather affects my energy levels.

My significant other thrives in the hot weather, playing golf and puttering in the yard all summer long, but I huddle under a ceiling fan in the air conditioned house and try to do my part for the environment by not lowering the thermostat below 78 degrees.

We have a cold snap in Florida this week, and I have been reborn! I feel an energy I haven't felt in months. Surely there is some genetic force at work here. Centuries of cold, damp climate cannot be overridden by a mere thirty four years of Florida sun.

No comments: